The Irish Connection
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Irish Connection

This is a forum for all celtic fans worldwide - No Bannings, No powermad admin.... Everyone is welcome - come discuss celtic, gaa, politics, relegion.... whatever you want - Hail Hail and enjoy the forum!

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Miller was braced for Celtic exit but now he's firing on all

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Eamonn Ceannt
Admin
Admin
Eamonn Ceannt

Miller was braced for Celtic exit but now he's firing on all Empty
PostSubject: Miller was braced for Celtic exit but now he's firing on all   Miller was braced for Celtic exit but now he's firing on all Icon_minitimeTue Aug 21, 2007 8:15 am

KENNY Miller was still smiling when he returned to Pittodrie yesterday, this time to train with his national team. The grin on his face had probably seldom been away since he stepped off the bench at the same venue 24 hours earlier to score twice in Celtic's eventful 3-1 victory over Aberdeen.

As he self-deprecatingly pointed out, his current tally of three SPL goals equals the total amount he managed in the whole of last season's championship. He hopes his timely return to scoring form will continue for Scotland against South Africa tomorrow night and may also have secured his longer-term future with his club.

Miller revealed he has considered seeking a move away from the Scottish champions, in the wake of manager Gordon Strachan signing two new strikers in Scott McDonald and Chris Killen during the summer. When Miller remained an unused substitute in the 0-0 draw against Kilmarnock on the opening weekend of the season, that thought hardened in his mind.

The 27-year-old was then handed an unexpected starting place at Falkirk the following week, responding with a goal in Celtic's 4-1 win. While Sunday showed he cannot yet consider himself as Strachan's first pick up front, his two-goal contribution has encouraged him to feel it is worth remaining to fight for his place.

"It does go through your mind that you might have to go elsewhere," said Miller. "It wasn't looking too rosy for me at the start of the season. I didn't even get off the bench in the first game against Kilmarnock, so it wasn't looking great.

Even though I got the goals on Sunday, I can't be sure of playing for Celtic next week.

"At the moment, the club have six strikers and that's maybe one or two too many. I want to know I'm part of the plans, one of the four first-choice strikers the manager will maybe rotate. Beyond that, I want to get a starting position.

"I never imagined I would be playing against Falkirk last week, so I was shocked to hear my name in the starting line-up. Getting the goal was obviously a bonus for me, but it's even more important that I'm making a contribution and helping the team win.

"As a striker, it is important to get off to a good start in a season. Last year, I obviously didn't get off to a good start and it more or less continued that way throughout the whole season. So to get three goals in my first two games is great for me personally and hopefully I can continue that way.

"When you go on a run of scoring goals and get that kind of momentum, things do happen more naturally for you. If you are not scoring, you tend to think about it a lot more. You need the breaks as well. Last season, a couple of those goals I have scored already this season might have hit a defender's legs and been blocked."

Miller will win his 32nd cap for Scotland tomorrow night, seeking to improve his tally of nine goals for the national team. While some Old Firm players have been rested ahead of their Champions League commitments next week, the former Hibs, Rangers and Wolves man is relishing the final warm-up match ahead of next month's resumption of the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

"I'm delighted to be here," he said. "It's another chance to play for Scotland and hopefully score for Scotland."

Miller is also grateful for the support shown to him by Scotland manager Alex McLeish, who has kept him in the squad throughout spells when both the goals and first-team games have dried up at Celtic. "It's nice to hear the manager saying positive things about me," he said, "but I do need to be playing regular first-team football at club level if I'm going to be able to do my best for Scotland.

"I remember my last season at Wolves, I was playing every week and feeling great. My international form really picked up as a result.

"I never assume I'm Scotland's number one striker because there is plenty of competition for places in the squad. I have to keep proving myself to Alex McLeish.

"He gave me my break with Hibs, then sold me to Rangers and then sold me on to Wolves when he took over at Ibrox. At least he can't sell me to England or Wales now that he's in charge of Scotland. Seriously, he has been great since he came into the job. It was tough for him to follow Walter Smith, because we made such great strides under him, but Alex has kept things going in the right direction."

Rangers goalkeeper Allan McGregor has withdrawn from the squad ahead of the clash with South Africa. He has returned to Glasgow after it was decided not worth the risk to play him at Pittodrie due to a minor ankle injury sustained in Saturday's 7-2 win against Falkirk. Celtic defender Steven Pressley is another who won't be involved tomorrow night.
Back to top Go down
http://celticminded.forumotion.com

Miller was braced for Celtic exit but now he's firing on all
Page 1 of 1